Monday 9 May 2011

Komedia - Brighton

So last night I had the opportunity to go to Brighton for an evening out, this was the first time I have been to Brighton for an evening out since I was probably 18. Living in relatively close proximity to Brighton this is quite an achievement, admittedly in that 5 year period I have been back once. That occasion was a job interview for a Marketing Executive graduate scheme, the summer of 2009. back then I got off the train eventually wondered through the maze-like streets of Brighton and found the offices for my interview. Passed the interview, got called back for a second round interview which I decided I was not going to attend and told the interviewer on the spot ‘why?’ was his response. I responded bluntly in telling him that they had advertised it as a marketing job, planning and executing promotional campaigns for some of the biggest brands in the UK, being mentored and trained to eventually manage your own office of marketing professionals within 18 months. This interview though, is for a door-to-door salesman? He had no comeback and that was that. Anyway back to last night…..

After the train journey from London (my usual hang out) I stepped onto the platform like a dazed child not knowing where to go. Luckily I had my friend meeting me at the station and after an initial lost puppy moment… off to Komedia we went.

 
Now comedy can be hit and miss, my experience from the start...the woman on the door, relaxed and got me smiling. Good start!

So downstairs had the feel of a basement bar, very relaxed atmosphere. Then the show began and the MC for the night, Stephen Grant…hilarious. Most of the stuff he produced on the night came through improv based on what answers he got from the audience. The first comic was absolutely hilarious, Kerry Godliman. Normally female comedians all have the same line of jokes, men suck, women rule. This comic did explore that but the hilarious depiction of her two children plotting to kill her was absolutely hilarious. There were a further two comedians who were starting up, they did get the odd laugh out of me, one of them had me laughing all the way through, not for his talent but for the pure cheesiness of his lines. We all start of somewhere though right?
 The night took on a moment where I nearly started crying from laughter, and that moment was when Rob Deering took to the stage. The self-confessed lookalike of chief Wiggum had the crowd going with his clever use of musical equipment; comedic remixes of classics such as sexual healing and just his general references to popular culture throughout. The Elvis tracks remixed into songs about turtles where brilliant too!

So would I go again? Definitely I would, I’ll just need someone to show me how to get there again, as I said, Brighton is a maze! I’ll have to visit that town every day for a month to get familiar with the streets.


No comments:

Post a Comment